Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Make it a Veggie-rific New Year




I wanted to do a big, long, gushing post about my CSA--how much better I feel since eating all those veggies, how much more exciting our meals have become since we added so many new foods, how much our neighbors love us for giving them that bottle of wine we got with our Christmas delivery (really!), how much I love the challenge and surprise of a box of greens every week--but, my oldest is still out of school (read: "Mom, I'm BORED.")and my other two are sick (there's nothing like the smell of vomit in the wee, small hours of the morning to let you know you're in for a good day) so this sentence will have to suffice. Joining the CSA was one of the best things I did in 2008. Not only did I learn to cook with more veggies (I can now work them into anything. And it *usually* tastes good!), but I learned to freeze and can a ton of things too. I made salsas, pickles, pickled beets (so much better than store-bought!), sauerkraut, pumpkin butter, apple butter, salad dressings, and marinades. I learned to cook with fresh herbs. I learned that I love leeks, kohlrahbi, garlic scapes, kobacha squash, and even kale. Well, love may be too strong a word for that last one, but I do have several recipes that just don't taste as good without the kale.

So here's the link for my CSA--which works if you are in Colorado or southern Wyoming. Or, for those of you who live nearby, you can google it and try any of the others in the Boulder area. And for those of you living in Utah, here's some good news: you have CSA's out there! They aren't just for us hippies on the Eastern slope! Here are a couple to check out (I have no idea if they are any good, but they are worth looking at). Utah's Own, Slow Food Utah, Copper Moose Farm. Or check localharvest.org. They have everybody.

My sister wants me to add that not all CSAs are as good as mine--and they may not be. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't look into it!

7 comments:

Jer said...

Just wanted to add my voice to yours that joining the CSA was a great experience for me, too! Although I could use a few tips on putting vegetables in everything. And I was too chicken to try canning, but maybe next year...

Lura said...

Cool! That makes me want to join one. I'll have to look into it. I'm so amazed at how much canning and stuff you've done. Way to go!

Misty Lynne said...

Um, Laura, your CSA link doesn't seem to be working. What is their name so that I can google them?

Misty Lynne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

Misty, my CSA is through Grant Family Farms. I fixed the link. Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

Wow, it sounds amazing! Ummm...what the heck is a CSA?

Laura said...

Katie--CSA stands for community shared agriculture. Basically you buy a share in a farm and they give you a box of produce each week. Usually farms that offer CSA options are organic. I learned about them when I read _The Omnivore's Dilemma_ by Michael Pollan. CSA are supposed to be really good for the environment (not just because they are organic) because they help cut back on fossil fuels. Buying local also strengthens local economies and puts money back into farms without government subsidies--which is a plus in my book. Google it or check out the Pollan's book. I PROMISE it will change the way you think about food!