Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Managing the OCD of it all

Confirmation bias. I swear that's what it is. But everywhere I look these days I feel like I see/meet/hear about folks with OCD.

Or maybe it's because it's a lot more common than most of us think. According to this website, 3.3 million Americans have OCD.

The part that is hardest for me is watching people get stuck mismanaging it or, really, sometimes, non-managing. Which is one reason I really, really, really liked this post from Katie L. (She's the gal I interviewed not too long ago. Part One here. Part Two here.)

My favorite line:

Here’s a confession: in my journey toward recovery, I have yet to make it through an entire day without giving in to a compulsion. Sometimes, that makes me feel guilty and ashamed. But the truth is, shame and healing cannot exist simultaneously. One of the most important things I have learned is to cut myself some slack, to accept that I can’t always control what I struggle with, and to let go of blame.


Amen, sister. Amen.

Also, if you're feeling it, her recent sacrament talk was a marvelous read.

2 comments:

Katie L. said...

Awww! Thanks for the link-love, Laura!

Ironically, it's been a rough couple of days and I was down on myself for doing poorly. Then I re-read that post, and reminded myself what I'm fighting for.

Onward and upward!!!!!!! :-)

Love ya.

Charlotte said...

I need to go read this one STAT. Thanks for the tip, Lou!